Monday 4 March 2013

How can anyone expect me to sing like Kishore Kumar?

How can anyone expect me to sing like Kishore Kumar?

It was in the 1980s that jumping jack Jitendra and Sridevi showcased their latkas and jhatkas dancing amidst a whole lot of matkas, in the song Naino Mein Sapna.

Needless to say, the song by Kishore Kumar topped the charts back then. And now, the song is back on the charts with its revamped version and sung by none other than the original legendary singer's own son, Amit Kumar. `It's deep in my genes,` says Amit.

`My voice does have that hint of my father's voice, and that is probably what has made it work even this time,` he says. Amit speaks to CS about revisiting the popular number and how nobody compares to his father:

Reviving the best
Last year in November, I got a call from Sajid-Wajid asking me to record a song. I found out that they were recreating Naino Mein Sapna to get the feel of the 80s.

I was present at Mehboob Studios when the original song was recorded by Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar and so, I had a good idea of what energy levels had gone in the making of the original one. The song was very commercial for even those times - the South Indian formula of matkas and Jitendra doing his trademark steps and Sridevi complimenting him.

So, that commercial factor is one of the reasons why the song's revamp is a hit. Another reason is that I am Kishore Kumar's son, so his fans feel connected with him through me.


No comparison
Kishore Kumar's fans miss his voice. With time, he's become more and more popular. But I don't understand how can anyone expect me to sing like Kishore Kumar?

No one can do that. He is an institution in himself. He was the one who introduced me to the microphone; he was the one who taught me so many things. He has been my guru. Comparing one with his guru is sheer stupidity. Whatever Kishore Kumar sang was awesome. One should be happier if his son sings it again. My talent should add to the pleasure of listening to the song.


On a fast track
People are tired of the short-lived songs that keep coming and going. The magic in music has vanished. There's no melody, poetry or harmony today; just a lot of restlessness. Singing and arrangements are equally important.

Today, music makers want to play safe. They don't want to take the risk of making a deep meaningful song that will be difficult to grasp. And I am sorry to say but some recording companies have been pivotal in the downfall of good quality music. They have backed commercial songs that sometimes go to the extent of sounding cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment