Friday 10 May 2013

I don't know why they don't make me dance : Sonam Kapoor

I don`t know why they don`t make me dance : Sonam Kapoor

Friday, May 10, 2013 14:58 IST
By jrj4u.com
When it comes to fashion and style, Sonam Kapoor takes the cake. Sreya Basu chats up with the actress in Mumbai as she gears up to walk the Red Carpet at Cannes Film Fetsival

You will be walking the Red Carpet at the Cannes International Film Festival (May 15-26). Are you excited?
This will be my third year that I will be walking at the Cannes for L'Oreal Paris (cosmetic major). This year I will be doing the opening ceremony which is extremely exciting for me; also it is 100 years of Indian cinema, so it is all the more special for me.

Will you be sporting your Raanjhanaa look at the Cannes for the sake of promotion?
My character Zoya in Raanjhanaa has no connection to the real Sonam. She is a small town, traditional girl. Obviously I can't make two chotis (plaits) and go to Cannes.

Though it's 100 years of Indian cinema, it seems more like a celebration of Bollywood only. Your comments.
Many people don't like the term Bollywood. But I love it. I revel in the fact that there are song, dance and drama in Hindi films and we bring in the drama quotient in World Cinema. That's why it is mainly for Bollywood that Indian cinema has sustained for 100 years.



Why is it that we don't see you dancing that much in your films so far?
I don't know why they don't make me dance in whichever film I do. I keep asking the makers. I have been a classical dancer from the age of 4. I have been learning Kathak from Jaipur and Lucknow gharana under the tutelage of Uma Dograji.

Do you think classical dancing is getting extinct in Hindi films?
You know, I used to watch Madhuri Dixit, Waheeda Rehman, Vyjayanthimala or Sridevi doing beautiful classical thumris, taans and all of that on screen. We are dancing in the rains but in a short, white dress and not in a white saree any more. This is unfortunate because my strength is Indian dancing.

The last beautiful Indian dancing I saw was Deepika's (Padukone) in Om Shanti Om (2007). But I never got the opportunity to do that (Indian dancing) but in Raanjhanaa there is a small section in Tum Tak (song) where I did a little dancing, that too because the film is set in Banaras and that place is known for classical dance. In fact, I begged to my director (Anand L. Rai) to let me do a little bit of dancing.


What is beauty to you?
For me beauty is something that reflects from inside. Let me give you an example, I have seen Birju Maharaj (Kathak exponent) perform and when he performs on stage he transforms himself into the most beautiful woman. It is all about what expressions come from within and their beauty reflects on your face when you start emoting. So it's emotion that makes one beautiful.

You mentioned Sridevi just sometime back. Being an aunt, does she give any advice to you regarding styling and make-up?
Styling no. In fact, she used to ask me from where do I get to wear so many dresses. So I found her a stylist so that she can wear all the dresses she wants to. But make-up, yes. When I started out in the industry some five years ago, I went to Sri chachi (Sridevi) and the one tip she gave me was to learn to do your own make-up.

What is your favourite piece of make-up?
I love kajal and (eye) liner. For me, dramatic eyes are amazing.


Name one actress who you are in awe of.
Waheeda Rehman is an icon for me and she represents the golden era of Indian cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment