Monday 20 May 2013

I really feel that I should have got married many years ago: Atif Aslam

I really feel that I should have got married many years ago: Atif Aslam

Monday, May 20, 2013 15:49 IST
Atif Aslam's professional and personal life seems to be on an upswing. Pakistan's pop sensation, who's become a household name with his playback in India, recently got married to his girlfriend Sara.

And he's the voice behind 'Mori Araj Suno' in Mira Nair's latest film. `Poet Faiz Ahmad Faiz has done only two Punjabi songs in his entire career and 'Mori Araj Suno' is one of my favourites. So when I was called for this song, I jumped at the opportunity, ` says the singer. Atif speaks to CS about playback singing, his singing style and how his wife is truly his better half:



Sara's the one!
I really feel that I should have got married many years ago. But yes, I believe that I'm more focused now and I am concentrating more on my work. We have just returned from our honeymoon in Istanbul. Sara and I have been in a relationship for five years.

She is a very positive person. She erases all the negativity around me. I always wanted someone like her in my life. She is definitely the better half.

She has been attending my concerts regularly. She knows that the adulation comes as a package deal with this profession, so she never gets uncomfortable by my female fans. In the end, she knows she's the one for me!


Old Atif, new style
The market has changed and so have the strategies. I have definitely compromised on my style. I don't feel so possessive about playback. I enjoy it but I don't love it.

Even I love the old Atif who used to do albums. 'Bol ke lab azaad hain', another song from Mira Nair's film is one song which connects to the old Atif. So the audience can get to hear the old me through this song.

The rush of live singing
Playback is exciting but there is no adrenaline rush in it. But when thousands of people are there to cheer you up; it is a different feeling altogether.

Playback is something I enjoy but live singing is something I love. While composing Aadat, I never thought that it will be such a big hit. I am still trying to find my genre of music.


Creating bonds through music
As musicians, we do our work. Music has no language and whenever I perform on the world stage, there are both Pakistanis and Indians who enjoy the performance equally. They are there to listen to Atif Aslam as a musician, irrespective of his country.

A lot of connect happens between people from diverse places through these concerts and they get to know each other. So, music surely creates a bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment