Wednesday 1 May 2013

We bond over naughty jokes, girls and of course, music

We bond over naughty jokes, girls and of course, music

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 12:13 IST
They bond over naughty jokes, girls, food and of course, music.

Composer duo Sachin Jigar who first made waves with songs like Saibo (Shor In The City), Party Abhi Baki Hai (Faltu) and Bezubaan (ABCD) are now back with the punk rock number Khoon Choos Le. In a fun-filled interview with CS, the two talk about their partnership:

Jab we met
Sachin: You can say that we are colonial cousins (laughs out loud). We were working at different levels before we met up to share our workload. Jigar was working with Rajesh Roshan sir while I was doing music for theatre. My work in theatre fetched me a lot of work in TV.

Then, I realised that I need someone to work with. Jigar and I have a lot in common than just music. There's the Gujarati connection and we can crack jokes over similar situations. Jigar was the one who introduced me to Bollywood.

Jigar: Sachin has trained in classical music for 12 years, while my only experience was playing at garba shows.

My father sent me to Rajesh Roshan to learn music. At that time, I had no idea about taking up a career in music. It was Sachin who encouraged me to explore my horizons. We will celebrate the tenth anniversary of our union next year on February 16 (laughs).

Director's cut
Sachin: It's tough to enter into B-town without a godfather. Also, none of our early hit songs were filmed on stars. When your song is filmed on a star, it automatically goes up in value.

But we have been extremely fortunate to work with unconventional directors who have challenged and applied our knowledge to the maximum. For example, I had given a melodious tune to Bezubaan for ABCD. It was Remo who told us to give it the hip hop beat.



Jigar: A film's music is dependent on its script, and I believe that every script can stomach versatile music. Moreover, B-town is changing with varied directors, scripts and stories. This has encouraged new genres of music.

Melody musings
Sachin: I think a song in dubstep/punk rock works if the theme of the song is relatable. Khoon Choos Le falls in this category. I would say that 85 per cent of our listeners still love melody. But as modern composers, we need to give them something different. I have heard people saying that dubstep sounds like breaking walls (laughs out loud)

Jigar: I'm 28 now and feel that songs like Chaand Taare (Yes Boss) and Anna Mere Pyaar Ko (Kabhie Haan Kabhie Naa) are classic. The generation that will come 15 years from now will look at present numbers as classics. Also, Hindi films still have melodious numbers but they are not promoted now. We only hear the item songs again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment