Thursday 13 June 2013

Exclusive: A distraught Priyanka Chopra before her father’s death



Priyanka Chopra’s ailing father Dr Ashok Chopra passed away at noon on Monday. He had been ill for some time.

A trained doctor and an avid singer, Dr Chopra, was known across the film industry for being affable and kind even to strangers.

Recalling the earliest memories of her father, Priyanka, in an interview some years ago to this writer, said,“My dad is really tall. And I was just 2 or 3.  I’d always try  to pass through his legs and he’d  clamp my  neck  as I  did so. My earliest memory  is  of me howling because my dad  wouldn’t let me pass through his legs. He  had a bike which  I loved  to take rides on.”

Priyanka was born  in Jamshedpur . “My nana jee lives there. I visit him regularly.  As a child, I loved  reading.  I just loved sitting by the window  and reading and watching the streets.  My dad was in the army, so we were always on the move.  He taught me to drive at 13 when he’d take me  to  school. I was very scared of driving….My dad  used to be a doctor in the army until he  took voluntary retirement in 1997. He’ s a  trained  artiste, painter and singer. He used  to be called  the singing surgeon.  He used to do shows  for the army.  I’ve  inherited a fondness for singing  from  my dad. One  of my earliest memories  at 3  is of  my dad on stage, watching me and  singing. If he didn’t look at me and sing, I’d  get extremely miffed. Sometimes he used  to call me up on stage to sing  an African song that I knew.”

When Priyanka decided to participate  in Femina Miss India, she  was apprehensive of her father’s reaction. “We belong to a very conservative family. All this glamour and showbiz was  very new to my dad. It was my mom  who told him about my plans… I  wasn’t willing  to talk to him about  it.  Initially, he wasn’t convinced.  But my mom and I reasoned that it was just a holiday in Mumbai and that I didn’t stand  a chance in hell of winning.  Who knew?! I had never modeled before. I had my portfolio done for the first time for  the pageant. I thought of myself  as a very ugly  child. I saw myself as an ugly duckling who’s one day turned into a swan. I believe in fairy tales. I used to cry before my mom about how ugly I was. Even now it takes 90 minutes of hair, clothes and makeup to make me look decent.”

She laughs.    “After I won Miss India, my mom and I moved to Mumbai. Dad joined us later. And so did my brother. Dad  has always been super-encouraging.  We bought a  house and started a clinic for  mom and dad. They became practicing doctors again.  He later joined Leelavati as   managing director.”

The aura of happiness fades. “His illness has been a  blow. My dad always told me  to keep working normally.  I’d never let him down by  letting the strain show. Now that he’s healing, I feel grateful ….grateful that  this trauma  happened at a time when  I could afford his treatment . I’m so relieved I could afford him the  best treatment.  If it had happened two years ago, I wouldn’t have been able to do anything. I’ve always believed  daughters care as much  as sons, if not  more.  And  even when they get married, they continue to care a lot more for their parents.  Sons are a lot more swayed .  My  mom  has several sisters and  my naani stays with all of them.”

Priyanka inherited a fondness for singing through her father. “My dad sings, though not professionally. I’m a big fan of my father’s singing. I love singing . Ever since I  was a child, I dreamt of getting in a white gown to sing on stage like Whitney Houston. I’ve been trained in Western classical singing. I used to sing soprano in a choir.”




No comments:

Post a Comment