Saturday 9 March 2013

I thought theatre was a nude art without: Nawazuddin

 I thought theatre was a nude art without: Nawazuddin

Having bagged Buddhadeb Dasgupta's film 'Anwar Ka Ajab Kissa', the current hotshot of Bollywood industry, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, said he wanted to do this film even before he heard the script.

"I heard the script later. I was interested to act with Dada (Buddhadeb Dasgupta). I heard a lot about him since my NSD (National School of Drama) days. He is one of the most talented directors and I had to work with him as there were no options left," said Siddique, who is currently in Kolkata for the workshop of 'Anwar Ka Ajab Kissa'.

Having made an impressionable mark on celluloid with his performances in 'Peepli Live', 'Kahaani', 'Gangs of Wasseypur' and 'Talaash', he believes that it is a director on whom an actor can rely upon.

"I believe that a bad director can spoil a good script, while even a bad script can be transformed into a great film by a good director," he said.

"If you see 'Gangs of Wasseypur', it is a B-grade kind of film but Anurag (Anurag Kashyap) made it so great," he added.

But landing in the silver screen has not been easy for this average-looking actor.

"I wanted jobs but when I didn't get one, somebody showed me theatres. I thought theatre was a nude art without any corruption in acting and thus decided to join the same as well as NSD," he said.

"After passing out I did some street plays. However, there was no money those days and I decided that it's better to die in Mumbai than in Delhi. So, I shifted to Mumbai, and was looking out for roles in serials. But that didn't happen as Ekta Kapoor ruled the industry and I spotted a 'body builder' friend of mine playing the role of a beggar. And it was then I thought I have to try doing films," he added.

The actor, who no wonder has carved out a niche for himself, said he doesn't wants to do formula films.

"I chose films depending on my instinct. I have been doing mainstream, but it should not be like a formula kind of film...that there will be one hero and one heroine, songs and that's it. I don't believe in that kind of formula films," Siddiqui told.

Nevertheless, the actor is surely here to go a long way as he believes in his "own craft" and prefers no comparison with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment