Wednesday 13 March 2013

I took two weeks to decide about 'Munnabhai 3'

I took two weeks to decide about `Munnabhai 3`

"Jolly LLB" director Subhash Kapoor is excited about wielding the megaphone for "Munnabhai 3", but says he didn't jump at the offer and took his own sweet time to accept it.

"I wanted time as I didn't want to jump at it just because it is 'Munnabhai'. There are two ways to react - you can be like it is an opportunity of a lifetime or you can sit back and think if you have anything in mind and if you can do justice," he said.

The first two films - "Munnabhai M.B.B.S" and "Lage Raho Munna Bhai" - were directed by Rajkumar Hirani and produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra. They were not only entertaining, but conveyed messages too.

"I took about two weeks of time and wanted to figure this out. I wanted to see if I have something to tell about Munna and Circuit (two important characters played by Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi, respectively). When I felt that there was something I could do, I got back to Vinod," he said.

Both Chopra and Hirani will be attached to the project, but it has not been revealed in what capacity.

Kapoor is known for making satirical comedy "Phas Gaye Re Obama" and his forthcoming "Jolly LLB", which mocks the legal system in the country.

A huge fan of Chopra and Hirani, Kapoor said: "I am hugely excited to work with the likes of Raju Hirani and Vinod Chopra in my fourth film. They are the best. I will get time to work with them, discuss and argue and come up with a good script. I am looking forward to it," he said.


"Raju Hirani is the best thing to happen to Hindi cinema in the last 25 years. That honesty and simplicity... His films are magic," he added.

For "Munnabhai" project, Kapoor is "happy to take inputs" from Hirani and Chopra.

"They love their work and mean what they do. They do their bit and do it better than all of us. They are lovely people to work with," he said.

Talking about how he came on board, the director said: "I got a call from Vinod Chopra, He wanted to meet me and wanted to know about my background. He saw 'Phas Gaye...' and then we met. He liked the film and he asked me if I would be interested (for 'Munnabhai'). I said I needed time. I wanted time as it is one of my favourite films."

Right now the director is looking forward to the release of "Jolly LLB" staring Arshad Warsi, Amrita Rao and Boman Irani. It is hitting theatres Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment