Thursday 21 March 2013

Naseer : Makarand is very gifted

Naseer : Makarand is very gifted

By Subhash K Jha

Naseeruddin Shah has done brief role in Makarand Deshpande's iniguing Sona Spa.

Says Naseer, `It was just a half-a-day's work. I play a godman who spouts inane wisdom from his home far away from India. It's a very tongue- in-cheek kind of role. `

Naseer says he likes Makarand Deshpande's work. `I enjoy watching his plays. I just love Makarand's work and his relentless energy. . . and his completely off-centre perception of the world. In his theatre productions he always manages to astonish me in one way or another. He had done Sona Spa as a play. I enjoyed the play. And when he made a film out of it he asked me to do a role. So I did it for a lark. `

Naseer warns it's a brief role. `It was just half a day's work. My part is a spoof on godmen. I just had to sit on a chair and pontificate, spouting big words that mean nothing. It's about getting people to sleep for you while you're busy elsewhere. `

The idea sounded intriguing to Naseer. `I asked him how did this thought occur to Makarand and he said, 'Well, if people can pray for you and perform pilgrimages for you why can't people sleep for you? ' It was great fun to shoot the film. I hope it works. He has directed some films before, none of which was released. I am so glad Sona Spa is releasing. He is very gifted. And he's been around long enough. `

Besides Sona Spa Naseer has not signed any new film. `I have no other film on hand. My primary interest is theatre at the moment. `

No comments:

Post a Comment