Wednesday 24 July 2013

The two loves of my life are khana and gaana.

 The two loves of my life are khana and gaana.


As a newcomer Alka Yagnik did not think that she would sustain in the music industry for over three decades.

The lady who has given some all-time hits talks to CS about her journey so far.

Long innings
I have been singing since in my teens. Bollywood is now second home for me. I have worked very hard to be where I am. When I came to the industry, the Mangeshkar sisters were very popular. Like any newcomer, I had to polish my skills to get work.

Music composers such as Kalyanji-Anandji, Laxmikant-Pyarelal groomed me. I didn't really have to struggle as my parents provided me with a great home, a car and all the other necessities for a comfortable life.

I had to only concentrate on my work. There are some artistes who come to the city without a proper roof on their heads but by god's grace I didn't have to bother about all that.



The music mayhem
The competition amongst newcomers is immense. There are lots of singers coming in to create an identity for themselves. It is the case of less demand and more talent. Most of them get overshadowed by senior artistes.

The singers who start early fade into oblivion as quickly. This is the current phase of music. Nowadays, there is an emergence of other genres of music apart from playback.

My advice to every young singer would be to work very hard. I feel I'm blessed by God and my audiences to be able to sustain my success and work for so long in this hugely competitive industry.

In my own world
I am a very private person. I belong to the audience when it comes to work, but otherwise I keep to myself. Earlier I didn't have time for myself, but now I make it to point to spend some quality time by myself. It helps me collect my thoughts.

I enjoy reading and travelling. Visiting new places, exploring different cultures, people and cuisines also give me a great high. I am a total foodie. However, more than cooking, I enjoy eating. The two loves of my life are khana and gaana.

No comments:

Post a Comment