Monday 22 April 2013

Together For The First & Last Time: Vyjanthimala & Hema Malini On Stage


 For Bollywood aficionados , it can’t get any better. For connosieurs of Indian classical dancing it’s a dream-come-true.
Two of Indian cinema’s greatest screen queens Vyjanthimala and Hema Malini, both Tamil Brahmins and no.1 dancer-actress of their times, would be dancing together in what is being described in cultural circles as a historic union.
76-year old Vyjanthimala  , considered a trailblazer in her times, is still active on stage as one of  India’s foremost Bharat Natyam exponent.
60-year old Hema Malini is not only one of India’s most prominent Bharat Natyam danseuse but also a self-proclaimed unabashed fan of Vyjanthimala  . Heme has nursed a secret dream of dancing with her idol for many years.
Gushes the Dream Girl, “I’ve only  one idol. And that’s Vyjanthimala. I’ve modelled my entire career and lifestyle on her. When I was a young girl I used to fantasize that I had an elder sister and that sister was Vyjanthimala.Later  in life when I met her I couldn’t believe my luck that I was actually face to face with her. We became close friend .And now when she tells people that Hema is her younger sister I feel my dream has come true. Do you know,Vyjanthiji hardly goes anywhere. But she flew into Mumbai from Chennai for Esha’s wedding.”
About the concert Hema reluctantly reveals, “Yes, we are planning to come together on stage just once very shortly. I don’t want to say anything right now. Kisiki nazar lag jayegi.”
While the details of this epoch-making dance recital to be held in Chennai are being worked out one thing is for clear. We’ll never see such a union of dancing divas ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment