Friday 8 March 2013

'Happy there is a day to celebrate womanhood'

`Happy there is a day to celebrate womanhood`

b>The actress talks about the qualities that make a perfect woman and choosing her Bollywood assignments carefully

Back in the '80s and the '90s when Sridevi ruled the roost in the industry, the actress was a role model for every woman. And after staying away from the arc lights for around 15 years, Sri was back with a bang last year with Gauri Shinde's English Vinglish.

Once again she claimed her spot under the sun with her outstanding performance in the film. And on a personal front, the actress is balancing her life perfectly, being mother to her daughters Jhanvi and Khushi. On International Women's Day, Sridevi talks about the real essence of being a woman...

What does Women's Day signify to you? Do u celebrate the occasion with your family?
There is no celebration as such but I am happy that there is a day to celebrate womanhood. God has made women very powerful, with the strength to give birth that only she is capable of. Also, in many ways women are responsible for shaping up the society by giving a good upbringing to the kids in their family and making them better citizens.


Life has come a full circle for you post English Vinglish, with you once again becoming one of the most sought after names in Bollywood...
It feels nice when you are being appreciated. I was convinced about the story of the film and I could relate to it. I am happy that it was received well.

You rejected several films in your career that did not hold significant roles for you. What do you see now in the films being offered?
It is important that I do something worthy at this stage of my life. It has been a wonderful experience being a mother and bringing up two daughters and spending time with my husband.

I wanted to be there for my kids when they were growing up. Now when both my daughters have grown up, my family convinced me to make a comeback. But I choose my work very carefully. It had to be a story worth getting associated with.

The industry believes no other actress has been able to touch the heights of the success you enjoyed in your career. What do you think worked in your favour?
What do I say? I have just done my work whole-heartedly and I have been fortunate to have the audience giving me so much of love.

Why have there been no announcements from your end post English Vinglish?
I have been reading a few scripts. As soon as I find something interesting, I will sign it. Let's see how soon that happens.


Finally, is there another actress among the current crop who could become the next Sridevi?
Taking one name would be unfair because everyone has her own charm. All of them are so good and are doing some wonderful films.

No comments:

Post a Comment